Labour’s Better Plan: energy bills
March 20, 2015 1 Comment
Labour has a better plan – we will give the regulator the power to cut prices by winter and freeze energy bills until 2017 whilst we reset the market…
- Labour will put an immediate stop to this overcharging by giving the regulator the power to cut prices and a duty to act in time for this winter.
- We will freeze energy bills until 2017, so that bills can fall but not rise, whilst we fix the market:
- By getting the Big 6 to separate out the parts of their business that generate energy from the parts that sell to consumers;
- Getting them to sell all their energy in an open pool;
- Introducing a simple new tariff structure; and
- Abolishing Ofgem and replacing it with a tough new energy watchdog from January 2017.